Teflon tape -- not a good idea, IMHO.

A leading contributor recently advocated use of teflon tape on CO2
distribution systems.

The prime advantage of teflon tape is its hydrophobic properties, when used
on liquid distribution systems. It won't wet, so it won't leak.

For gaseous distribution, particularly if followed by needle valves,
regulators, or other constrictions, it can be a big problem. Use the goopy
thread-putty materials, to avoid the potential shreds of teflon from the
tape (as is always done in natural gas setups).

When I was at Hewlett-Packard, teflon tape had caused enough mischief that
it was banned, company wide, for any non-liquid application. I think that is
a wise precaution with *any* system that can drift to high pressure if
constricted unexpectedly.

Just my $0.02. Like you, I'm aware of lots of problem-free uses of teflon
tape, but the rare explosion can be avoided very simply -- use thread
compound in a tube.

Wright

--

         "DEMOCRACY" is two wolves and a lamb voting on lunch.
     "LIBERTY" is a well-armed lamb denying enforcement of the vote.