Re: Coralife Trichromatic bulbs

Dusty Swanson wrote:

"Does anyone recommend these bulbs.  I'm glad I only bought one
( I have 2 lights) because if I bought 2 my tank would look way to
green.  Is it common for these lights to be so green?? Also it looks
like my tank will fall to algae in the next week or so, anything I can
do now to prevent it, and altough I've only had the trichromatic bulb
on for one day, might that bulb be a partial cause of my outbreak, I
had a Triton and a normal bulb (that came with the strip), now for
the one day I've had the Triton and the Trichromatic on."

Dusty, I have used these bulbs for years. They are not associated
with algal blooms. Yes, the light does have a strong green
component. Since you have been using a Triton, you have probably
become accustomed to a bluish cast in your tank. I think the
trichromatic is much more natural. I like to use it in conjunction
with a 50/50 to add some blue - your Triton would serve the same
purpose.

Your problem may be that you've added a new and more intense
lightbulb, and that has created an imbalance in your tank between
the amount of light and the nutrients available to your plants.
Perhaps you need CO2, or your nitrates are too high. You will have
to evaluate and see where the problem is. I don't think it's in the
light bulb.

Cathy Hartland
in steamy Middletown, MD