Lobelia Variegata ?

    If anyone has info on L. Variegata, please share it.  I have searched the
archives and can only find L. Cardinalis mentioned.  I have identified this
plant using Simon & Schuster's...not the most accurate reference, but one of
the few currently at my disposal.
    I planted it in my 20L,  and it quickly grew up into the lights and
whithered.  Shortly thereafter, all of the lower leaves died.  I contemplated
removing it, but the root growth is so extensive I feared pulling out
everything else with it.  So I trimmed it back and it is now filling out
nicely.

Eric