Re: More Light recommendations

"Steve Bansee" <tvg at icenter_net> wrote:

> Hi again all,
>
> Was at my local lighting place today, and they had some fluorescent bulbs
> from Holland, it was a Philips Aquarelle TLD 30W/89 (1" dia), which is 36"
> long, they also had the 36watts at 48" long.  The price I can get the 36"
> for is $15.00 cdn (~$10.00 US).  I looked at the Philips European and the
> info on the Aquarelle says its for freshwater tanks.  It also has a spectral
> power distribution graph, on that page.
> My question is, would this be a good bulb to add to my tank, I'll mix it
> with some 950 or 850.
>
> Oh, the bulb is 10,000k (looks like saltwater stuff?), and a CRI of 79.
> Take a look at the Philips page at
> http://www.eur.lighting.philips.com/products/Catalog/5/5278/5278s.pdf
>
> Thanks
> Steve

This bulb is included in the revised version of my article, soon to be
posted at http://www.aquabotanic.com/lightcompare.htm. It is a relatively
efficient bulb with lots of blue ligth. The spectrum is just a plain
tri-phospor, very similar to other tri-phospors such as the /800 PCs and
the Philips ADV850, except for the abnormaly bright emission at 435
nanometers. Sounds as a good light for saltwater...

Are you sure you have an appropriate ballast for firing this tube ?

- Ivo Busko
  Baltimore, MD