Re: outdoor tanks

> Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 17:23:13 PDT
> From: "tierney wayne" <hybrid_t at hotmail_com>
> Subject: Re: outdoor tanks
>
> Hi folks,
> the recent posts on outdoor tanks have prompted me to ask a question. I have
> a 20 gallon outside, about 1/3 full of water. It has a few plants I wanted
> to grow emersed in it. I don't want to set up any filtration or aeration, I
> just want a simple water feature on my patio. Now I'm wondering if anyone
> has experience with fish in a situation like this. I assume goldfish or
> guppies would survive... are there any other choices? This is, obviously, a
> very low maintenence operation. ;-)
> Thanks for any suggestions.

Goldfish will work, but are too big and messy for a smaller tank, like that.
White Cloud Mountain minnows will live outdoors in your area, year around.
Others keep pupfish and other interesting NA natives in tanks like that,
too.

Many South American killies from Uruguay and Argentina are happy in outdoor
CA tanks, too. You might try *Cyn. nigripinnis* or *affinis* in that 20G.
Check with Oleg at the BAKA meetings. He's our local expert at foiling raids
by raccoons, etc.

Wright

--

         "DEMOCRACY" is two wolves and a lamb voting on lunch.
     "LIBERTY" is a well-armed lamb denying enforcement of the vote.