Re: nitrite-nitrogen vs. real nitrite?

Well, I feel called to the board... The question is: How much nitrogen is in
nitrite? Nitrite chemical formula is NO2-. Never mind the minus, the
molecule consists of one nitrogen atom and two oxygen atoms. The mass of a
nitrogen atom is roughly 14 Daltons (a unit of mass) and that of an oxygen
is 16 Daltons. That makes the weight of nitrite 14+2*16=46. The % weight of
nitrogen is 100% * 14/46= 30.4%. The inverse (1/30.4% = 3.29) gives you the
conversion factor.

The same way we can calculate factors for nitrate (weight 62, %N 22.6%,
factor 4.43), ammonia (NH3, weight 17, %N 82.4%, factor 1.21), and ammonium
ion (NH4+, weight 18, %N 77.8%, factor 1.29).

HTH

Slawomir Janicki
janicki1 at earthlink_net