Re: Increasing GH but not KH?

On Sun, 30 Apr 2000, Gordon wrote:

> Is there anyway to increase GH without increasing KH at the same time?
> I wish to keep my KH at its current 5 degrees but I want to increase
> my GH to about 10dGH, how can I do this without altering my current KH
> level?

You can add epson salt or calcium chloride to increase GH without
increasing KH.  Epson salt adds magnesium and calcium chloride adds
calcium, both of which increase hardness.  It would be best to add a
mixture of these two so you don't really mess up the Ca/Mg ratio.

> Alternatively, is there a way to decrease KH without altering GH?

Strong acids like hydrochloric acid, nitric acid or sulfuric acid can be
added (very carefully!) to lower the pH.

Roger Miller