Re: Riccia article & CO2

Hi everyone:

Just some comments on the riccia & CO2 article that appeared in the June
magazine.  I have not read the articles but...

Riccia is a floating plant that will not attach itself to objects as would
vesicularia dubyana (Java moss).  What happens is that after being submerged
for some time, it looses its ability to float.  However, this is rarely
seen.

As a result, to keep it submerged and looking good, you must tie it down
using clear fishing line (something that won't decay).  Also, you must be
religious about trimming it.  Otherwise, it will grow upwards.  When this
happens, the lower portions (the ones attached by the line) will receive
less light and rot resulting in the plant floating up to the top of your
aquarium.

On the CO2 topic, I do know that Shawn Prescott may be importing some of
ADA's products.  So anyone interested may want to ask him.  However, I will
caution everyone that the ADA CO2 kits and cylinders come PRE-FILLED with
compressed CO2.  That's great, but what's not so great is shipping the
stuff.  Unless it is sent following the U.S. Hazardous Materials
regulations, it is illegal to ship or receive it.  Although the cylinders do
have safety valves, please be careful if you choose to buy such products.

Lastly, it is my understanding that the reason why some people advocate not
adding CO2 during the night cycle of your aquarium is because photosynthesis
does not take place without light.  Therefore, the need for CO2 is not
there.  In fact, the plants, fish and bacteria continue to respire which
release CO2 into the water.  That's why you may experience lower pH levels
overnight.

In one of Amano's books, he recounts a story of when his regulator got stuck
and let CO2 in all night raising it to a toxic level.  As a results, all
fish perished.  I've not heard of this happening to anyone else so this may
be an extreme case.

Maybe someone can confirm or provide a more technical response.

Regards,

Art Giacosa