Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #246

>Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 23:44:12 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Anh Thach <thanh at redhat_ccc.cccd.edu>
>Subject: Chelated Iron as fertilizer
>
>In a farm supply store, I saw chelated iron sold at $25 for a 5 lb. bag.
>Is it OK to use this chelated iron for aquatic plants? Is it as good as
>fertilizer solution sold in LFS?

If the chelating agent is diethylenetreamine pentaacetate (DPTA), it is an
excellent source of iron for planted tanks.  Dissolve one level teaspoon in
two cups of water, and dose your tank at the rate of one to two cc per
gallon.  Keep the solution in the refrigerator, and if it still tends to
grow some kind of underwater mold, boil it.  I find that it lasts in the
aquarium for months, and that I only have to add more every 6 months or so.
I do not use iron test kits, but go by the appearance of the plants.
However, if you make frequent water changes, you will have to dose the
newly added water.  You don't have to worry about conserving your supply,
with five pounds, you will have more than a lifetime supply.  You will
proably bequeath about 4.8 lbs to your offspring.

Paul Krombholz, in central Mississippi, where the trees are fully leafed
out, and all the summer birds are in place.