Re: Water change device (was Re: Turface/Profile & Flourite)

"Scott Page" <spage at jbr-env_com> wrote:

<snip>
> On another subject - I want to use something other than a bucket/hose and
> mouth-full-of-water to change water in the 120.  I am considering a Python
> or similar device.  I understand that one of these devices (can't remember
> which) advertised that it removed chlorine or allowed it to dissipate
> because it filled the tank by spraying the water into the tank in a fine
>stream.  Anyone have info on this and its effectiveness at chlorine
removal?
<snip>

Ivo wrote about an automatic water changing device:

Despite the drawbacks, I liked the idea so much that in my future 120 I'll
use
the same principle, but with a larger water flow to keep the changing time
within reasonable limits. I also will get rid of the squirt and venturi by
using a overflow standpipe in the sump and a simple hose with ball valve to
regulate the input into the sump.

I write:

I use automatic water changers much like this on both my tanks. In effect I
change my water at the rate of one drop per second. I use a kit intended to
supply water to a refridgerator icemaker to supply the water and I allow
excess water to overflow into a homemade overflow box made out of plumbing
fittings. The whole setup costs about $25 per tank. I would say that it the
best possible investent for increasing the enjoyment of aquariums. As far as
I can tell the system will work indefinately with no intervention. The
biggest drawback is that it wastes water a little bit but on the other hand
it keeps water parameters rock solid stable. It also might not work if your
water contains chloramine in which case it might be necessary to pretreat
the water in a separate container and have it overflow into the tank. I have
a drawing of the setup at http://www.mnsi.net/~waj/#item2

I really have no idea if the small amount of chlorine that ends up in the
tank is in any way harmful to the fish but as far as I can tell they suffer
no ill effects. I imagine that the chlorine is added at such a slow rate
that it is quickly neutralized by organic matter in the tank. Maybe someone
else can comment on this.

Wayne