Re: substrate poll

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Damian Maddalena wrote:

> What is your preferred substrate for a general planted tank?  IE, if you
> were setting up a tank today, what material(s) would you use to construct
> the substrate?

Currently my favorite substrate consists of 2 size of aquarium gravel + a
small amount of sand mixed with about 5% (by volume) boiled peat.  That is
covered with a couple centimeters of the same mix without the peat.

I have also used this mix with a fairly substantial amount of DTPA iron
chelate mixed into the peat before it's added to the sand/gavel mix.  I'm
also considering adding a small amount of kaolinitic clay to the same mix.

Roger Miller