new tank, ammonia=0.25 mg/liter

I am in the process of cycling a brand new 50 gal. planted tank, with a few
fish.  The fish have been in there for a couple of days.  This morning the
ammonia reading is 0.25 mg/liter.  Nitrite-nitrogen concentration is too
low to be detected.  Do I need to do anything?

I can top up the tank, as some water has been lost due to evaporation
(approx. 1 gal.).

One suggestion was to put peat in the filter to reduce pH (currently pH is
7.5).

Any other suggestions?  Or do I just wait it out?

Thanks, help is needed.
Gitte