Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #247

>Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 11:16:30 +0100
>From: "Buckley, Kevin" <kevin.buckley at nectech_co.uk>
>Subject: RE: DIY CO2 reliability
>
>Someone said:
>
>"Ryan, for the cost of a "good" pH meter, you would be able to get a
>perfectly sound CO2 regulator and pressurised gas system. You can forget
>about ever being able to reliably hit a specific pH with a DIY yeast
>reactor. The output is too variable."

Perhaps they cannot, I can and do. You can even use a controller using DIY
yeast BTW and it works very well. You still have to keep up on the changes
and not let it get low or need lots of CO2 unless you wish to hassled with
lots of brew for say larger tanks and very hard water etc.

A similar method to the one described here is using a gravel vac tube
attached to the output of your canister filter. Bubbling the CO2 up into it
and drilling a burp hole at a set level will keep too much CO2 from building
up in the tube if you need less than the tube hold etc.

Using a powerhead works by adding CO2 to its intake side and plugging it in
the controller.
A similar method can be done using a reactor that I designed for either gas
or yeast. It is self leveling and does extremely well at hitting targets.
The other kinds like Dupla's reactors work very well too but you can control
the amount with some practice.
Regards,
Tom Barr