another tank......another substrate

It's always nice to get home to NY. I get to see my family and snoop around
their houses for forgotten fish tanks.

This time I found a 10-gallon at my sister's house. It was sitting, full of
books, in her computer room. After a cunning use of hypnosis, I was out the
door with the tank.

:)

Needless to say, I'll be setting up another tank and I've decided to try
something new with the substrate. Both of my current tanks have florite, so
I was thinking about trying the method suggested here:
http://www.hallman.org/plant/gravel.html

It basically consists of potting vermiculite, soil, and a layer of fine
gravel.

Any comments/suggestions on this method?