Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #236

In a message dated 4/22/00 3:52:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time,

<< Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 00:25:22 -0700
 From: Amy <amyh at atl_mediaone.net>
 Subject: in-line heating

 Hi,

 What's the opinion around here on in-line heating? A few companies make
 in-line heaters, but why aren't they more popular? I realize they're a
 little more expensive, but the idea of not having those glass tubes in
 the tank seems like it would be very attractive (at least to me). Does
 anyone use one?

 Amy

making glass tubes into heaters has become one of those traditions that
should go the way of the dinosaur. I use lots of 300 watt heaters as many of
my aquariums are in my greenhouse. Every year I break several. I know that
submersible 300 watt to 1000 watt heaters can be made for a reasonable price
from a good quality stainless steal or better yet titanium. Yes, a few are
made but they so expensive it makes more sense to break a few every year than
use the metal ones now being built. I have worked with metal before and I
know that metal pipe can be made at a cost not far from the cost of glass
pipe and would be much more durable. Paying 4X for metal is totally
unreasonable.

       Moon