Re: Disclosure of formula

Hello everyone:

I know we're straying a bit, but I wanted to get my two cents in.

Personally, I don't have a problem with a commercial manufacturer NOT
disclosing the chemical formula that makes up one of their products.  I
understand that a company must try to maintain certain barriers to market
entry in order to succeed.  On such barrier is the secrecy of a proprietary
formula.  For goodness sake, no one is forcing Coca-Cola to disclose its
formula for example.

Additionally, I also understand a company's attempt to brand their products
in such a way that casts an aura over the product as something mystical.
That's just good marketing.  Look at beer commercials as just one example.

Therefore, I do not have a problem with ADA choosing not to disclose their
fertilizer formula.

HOWEVER, that said, I do not agree with grandious claims and false
advertisement.  Peddling snake oil is wrong no matter how you cut it.  I
applaud Tropica for its willingness to share their formula.  It shows an
understanding of the advanced hobbyist that escapes other companies.

Specifically concerning ADA's fertilizer series, I can tell you that the
company does not make claims that are unrealistic or false.  The fertilizer
is a darn good fertilizer that has provided me with very good results, as
has Tropica's Master Grow and the Dupla system.  Their system makes sense
and is the product of extensive research in the area.  I don't believe
anyone should discount the product merely because it doesn't state the exact
ingredients.  Discount it if you've tried it and it caused an algae outbreak
or killed your plants.

Just my thoughts.

Regards,

Art Giacosa