Re: Disclosure & Mysticism

Steve Pushak posted

<<Although James P has done an admirable job of praising the merits of
disclosing product composition; to my knowledge, we have never succeeded in
convincing one product manufacturer to disclose if they had not done so
already. Please correct me if I err...>>

Karl Schoeler recent gave Robert H. the composition (but not the
percentages) of his Substrate Gold and Natural Gold (see
http://www.aquabotanic.com/plantfer.htm). Perhaps Karl would tell us what
prompted him.

Roger Miller wrote:

<<I've not lived in Japan, but from what I have read of Japanese history,
religion and arts (mostly martial arts, in my case) it seems that their
culture is permeated with mysticism.  It's very easy for me to envision
products selling successfully on their market that are advertised to work
through no mechanism other than magic.

That same tactic would appeal to a rather small segment of the North
American market.>>

Probably among us skeptics. But for many products (perfumes,
clothes/fashion, alternative medicines and astrology-related enterprises
come to mind) I don't see a huge difference among mysticism, magic, allure,
quick routes to the unattainable, status symbols, etc. In fact, absent that
component, many of these products deflate in substance rather easily
(last-year's fashion, a debunked pyramid-power talisman, a me-too
fertilizer at triple the price). On the other hand for any "magic" that
really works (even in Tankword) -- due to something the manufacturer
has/knows but we can't duplicate -- you'll probably find me in line too, as
long as I'm convinced the product isn't harmful. But not Green Brighty --
unless, of course they change the name to something like, oh I don't
know...The Serene Green Machine?

Jared

Jared Weinberger                    jweinberger at knology_net
______    http://www.knology.net/~jweinberger/     ________