Re: Ich

on 01:48 AM 4/21/00 , Richard Sexton wrote:

>FWIW, I never buy fish from a pet/fish store. I think I've bought 2
>plants in 5 years from what passes as the local fish store. I get
>my fish and plants from other hobbyists and that's a pretty
>small number of poeple - just killifish folks.
>
>It may be that the patogen does not occur in their tanks. It
>cannot spontanesously erupt!

For what it's worth, I haven't had an outbreak of Ich in the 7 or so years
I've been keeping fish. I DO buy fish from local fish/pet stores, even
PetSmart and Petco, and I don't quarantine. I think it's a simple matter of
maintaining healthy water conditions, acclimating fish carefully, and
making sure you only buy healthy fish from healthy tanks.

(I've had outbreaks of every other disease under the sun at one time or
another... Just not ich. :)

--
michael moncur   mgm at starlingtech_com   http://www.starlingtech.com/
"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't."