Snails

I think snails are generally good. They'll eat waste and fish food lying on
the bottom, not eaten by the fish. The more junk you have there, the more
snails you'll have. Some types of snails burrow through the substrate as
well. They seem to perform a needed service.

Sylvia

<< Howdy...are snails bad?  I remember when I first start aquariums 15 years
ago, I
 was told snails waste product are toxic to fish.  So, I never had snails.
But
 then I read other people have snails and claim they eat all sorts of algae.
So
 which is it?  good or bad or just not something some people want in a tank?
 thanx,