Re: pH, KH, baking soda

> From: Chuck Gadd <cgadd at cfxc_com>
> Subject: Re: Kh, Ph, Buffering, and Baking Soda.
>
> > So, if I added CO2 to the water described above, would there be a
> > precipitous, unmanageable, Ph drop?
>
> Something is not right in your listed parameters:

	Good point.

> With a KH of 4, your pH is 6.5?  Either your tank isn't buffered
> with carbonate, or you've got some other source of acid lowering
> your pH.

	This wouldn't be an either/or situation.  If some other acid is
in there, the (bi)carbonate is gone.  Put it another way, either there
is more CO2 in there than one would expect without CO2 addition, or
the "KH" isn't bicarbonate.

> Do you use any pH adjusting additives?

That would answer some of the questions.

--
Paul Sears        Ottawa, Canada