Re: Tempered Grass Tank (sic)

Wright Huntley <huntley1 at home_com> wrote:

<snip>
> This pre-stressing makes tempered glass extra sensitive to scratches. It
> takes very little to make the whole window disintegrate. Since gravel
> scratches are common in aquaria, I, personally, would not trust (or even
> use) a tank that had any tempered glass in it. YMMV.

How come we never hear about such occurences ? I'm not arguing against the
sensitivity to scratches, but several of the most popular mid size tanks
nowadays are made with a tempered glass bottom pane as standard. With so
many marine aquariums around with their scratchy sands and coral, we should
be hearing about catastrophic tank blowouts, not just leaks, shouldn't we ?

- Ivo Busko
  Baltimore, MD