Re: Photosynthetic bacteria

> Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 08:58:36 -0400
> From: "Peter G. Aitken" <peter at pgacon_com>
> Subject: Re: Reverse Photoperiod
>
> As Roger says, photosynthesis does not consume nitrogen. In addition,
> bacteria do not perform photosynthesis. In this case, a double
> negative does
> NOT make a positive <g>!

All bacteria are members of Kingdom Prokaryotae, and there are more that
10,000 named and described species. Many more probably remain unnamed and
undescribed. Some of the bacteria of the Division Gracilicutes, collectively
called Anaerobic Phototrophic Bacteria, are capable of photosynthesis. The
photosynthetic bacteria of this group fall into three major classes - green
sulfur bacteria, purple sulphur bacteria, and purple non-sulphur bacteria.
The Cyanobacteria (what we call blue-green algae, or blue-green bacteria)
are also capable of photosynthesis in the same manner as green plants. A
third bacterial Phylum, the Chloroxybacteria also use photosynthesis to
convert light energy into chemical energy.

James Purchase
Toronto