Re: Reverse Photoperiod

 Thomas,

    If what you mean by 'reverse photoperiod' is to have lights on for algae
scrubbers at night while the main tank is lighted during the day, I think I know the
answer.  It has nothing to do with nitrogen uptake.  A marine hobbyist I know uses
this system to reduce pH and alkalinity swings on his reef tank.  Heavy
photosynthesis can cause alkalinity drops and pH increases during the day.  If you
have an algae scrubber hooked up to the main tank that is going through this cycle at
the same time, you would greatly accentuate the pH/alkalinity changes.  Solution:
Turn the lights on for the algae scrubber at night only.  The pH and alkalinity stay
much more constant, because the two cycles going at different times sort of cancel
each other out.  Its a terrific idea for stabilizing pH and alkalinity in marine
tanks with their delicate organisms.
    However, I suspect that it would not have much application to planted tanks.
Most freshwater plants are used to pH and alkalinity swings.

Diana Walstad