E.coli (was TB)

Karen Randall wrote:

>There may be other nasties you can get from sucking aquarium water... (I
>have heard of fish coming into wholesalers infected with E. cola, for
>instance, which I would _not_ want in my mouth!<g>)

I am assuming that you meant Escherichia coli, otherwise known as E.coli?  I
wouldn't worry too much about this one.  Most people don't know that you
have E.coli in your intestinal tract at this very moment.  Harmless.  If you
were referring to the E.coli 0157 that affected people who ate poorly cooked
hamburger meat, then I think that you are safe as long as you don't have the
habit of grinding up your fish and eating them!  As for mouth suctioning,
suck on if you are good at it.....but just the thought of fish poop in the
tube was enough to make me buy a Python!

LeeAnn Talarico
Department of Microbiology and Cell Science
University of Florida
Gainesville, FL