CO2 and low lights

Way back in Dec. '98 I think it was, Ole Larson summarized some findings
by Ole Pederson at Tropica; someone (Adam Novitt?) brought the same
subject up recently in the context of things that Claus Christensen said
while he was speaking in this country.

It seems that the compensation point can be lowered by adding CO2.  There
is a process called photorespiration that reduces plants' light-use
efficiency.  Increasing the CO2 concentration in the water decreases the
amount of photorespiration and increases the amount of benefit that plants
can get from low light levels.

In short, plants that fail to grow or simply die under low light and low
CO2 may live and even grow under the same light with CO2 added.

So there is a reason to provide CO2 to plants under low light.  I guess
that falls under the heading of environmental conditions that effect the
compensation point.

Roger Miller

Yes, I had the article, lended it to a friend and never got it back. It was
Ole Petersen who made the speaking, but not the article. And it was at
the "Aqua Planta Scandinavica" meeting that year.It was a marvellous
meeting with Christel Kasselmann talking on E., Claus Christensen on
"Aquarism" in other countries (USA too) and a Swedish professor on
the roots, the deposits and transformation on them.
I have just re-ordered the article, it is:
ID
KU95950110 Litteratur
Title

The interactive effects of light and inorganic carbon on aquatic plant
growth
Author(s)

Madsen, T. V.; Sand-Jensen, K. (Kbh. Univ. Zoologisk Institut);
Journal/series

Plant, Cell & Envir. 1994 17 p. 955-962
Supplier

Københavns Universitet
Other information

Type: Tidsskriftartikel ; Supplier Code: KU ; Updated: 19960403

I THINK the point is that it takes less energy to uptake carbon when
in high concentration, thus "getting along" with less light

Ole
oletan at worldonline_dk