Re: thin brown appendages on Java ferns

[I've changed the subject to something more descriptive...]

I've seen this question asked (including by me) several times in the archives, but never once answered! ;)

Those are "leaf babies". It's a way that the ferns propagate. They can be removed after a certain size and it will grow on its own.

See this article:
http://www.netpets.com/fish/reference/freshref/javafern.html

I've seen more of these in my tank when it was just starting out and was deficient in nitrates and potassium. I wonder if a java fern will make more
of these if the conditions aren't good for it?

-- Stephen