Removing biological filtration

After reading some of the comments on this mailing list, I'm considering removing
most all (artificial) biological filtration.

Right now in my 55 gallon tank I have a bio-wheel pro (two biowheels, a powerhead,
and a sponge prefilter). This is very efficient at getting the ammonia out.

I also have fast growing plants, CO2 regulated at about 20 ppm , and 2x55 W compact
flourescents, and dose with KNO3, K2SO4, and TMG.

I'm thinking about removing the biowheels. I have some concerns about this:

1) will the plants be able to keep the ammonia at a level safe for the fish?

2) is there a potential for ammonia swings during the 14 hours or so that the
lights are off?

-- Stephen