Lighting Questions

Cindy Camp wrote:

> 58 gallon tank (36" x 18" x 22", where 22" is the depth).
> My question for you all is, what would be your recommendations
> for getting light into this tank.  I am thinking about
> 2 of the 96watt CF available at ahsupply which would
> get me close to 4watt/gallon.  Any thoughts?  Is 4 watts/gallon
> enough light for a tank of this depth?

Cindy, I have a 50g which, like yours, is 22" deep.  I've got a hood with a
pair of 55w compact fluorescents and they provide a nice amount of light.  A
friend with the same tank (36"wide x 18" tall x 22" deep) has an open hood
with pair of 96w compact fluorescents which he purchased from AH Supply, and
at almost 4w/gal they provide a LOT of light.  I think either solution will
provide you with adaquate penetration.

michael rubin
michael at rubinworld_com
http://www.rubinworld.com/aquarium.htm