Biological filter in planted tanks

I have posted a couple of questions a few days back and nobody seemed to
'bite' (granted they were buried within a longer message). One of the issues
I was trying to raise had to do with biological filtration in planted tanks
and particularly if we should have it or not. The approach I took was to
heavily plant the tank from day one and slowly increase the fish load (it is
still very light) allowing the plants to absorb all the ammonia generated.
These conditions would prevent the bacteria from multiplying and competing
with the plants for the available ammonia. What is everybody's opinion on
this? I was thinking of compiling a list of pros and cons for each case but
I would rather wait and find out if anybody is interested in this subject
out there before wasting space and time.

Cheers,
Adrian Banica.
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.