Re: postenje's Green water

> I am setting up a new tank. I have NO fish or plants in it. Just sand,
>flourite, gravel from the river, and a piece of Malaysain driftwood. All of
>that was pre-soaked for a week. I had hooked up my equipment and had it
>running for about a week when all of a sudden the water turned green. Fairly
>nasty looking. The water was not still. I had cleaned the tank with vinigar
>and salt and rinsed it 3 times before I filled and equiped it. Could the
>gravel from the river have done it?

My vote would be your DW (driftwood) seeping small amounts of
macro-nutrients into the water column.   The new Flourite supplies the
micro-nutrients.  No big deal.  Except, you have no higher plants to mop up
these nutrients, so the algae diatoms (impossible to irradicate) have
gone-to-town!  I am no fan of chemical attempts to disinfect;  It usually
causes MORE aquarium-ecological instability and disease potential.  I'd
rather create the conditions by which our "friendly microbes" will soon
dominate.

Add Co2, fast growing plants covering the substrate and a water change.
This should help.  Next, only add algae eaters (otos, American Flag Fish,
SAE's) Do not feed.

See my NEW (4/9) Plants and Driftwood  at;
http://www.mindspring.com/~boukmn/P&L.html
eBay specials;  http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/boukmn/