Re: Using yeast for CO2

Tom wrote:

You can add a second bottle of plain tap water(or add something like salt to
it) hooked in series to avoid this. A simple tube going into the water and
another shorter one up above the water level to direct the gas to the tank
would work great. You'll never get yeast in your tank again. The second
bottle doesn't need to be changed much, if at all, and will help rid any of
that ugly fungus hanging off yeast line tubes. If the water backsiphons it
stops in the second bottle etc.

Wayne replies:

Something to watch out for is that even with two bottles in series as you
describe, water can still siphon back. It seems impossible at first but if
the tube in the "safety" bottle extends far enough into the water there will
be enough water in that bottle to fill the air line to the yeast CO2
generator. Once this starts water can then be sucked back from the tank. To
fix this the tube going into the water should be just below the water
surface so there is not enough water available to fill the airlines.

This setup also will not protect against the situation where the vacuum from
a filter pump crushes the the yeast CO2 generator bottle. In that case,
yeast/sugar /water will again end up in your tank.

I also used this setup with the CO2 line feeding into the pressure side of
the pump. Same thing happened. If I restricted the pump outflow water was
forced into the "safety" bottle which in turn forced water from the tank
into the CO2 bottle.

I really like this setup though as I use the "safety"  bottle as a bubble
counter. You can even feed more than one CO2 line into it although that also
has some problems. If there is a pressure differential between the yeast
generators, water from the the safety/bubble counter bottle will follow the
path of least resistance. Which is often into the botlle with the least
pressure.

Wayne