CPVC UGF & Spray Bar

I've been "lurking/observing" this list for some time now trying to get up
to speed on the latest to do a planted tank.  I am returning to this hobby
after some 20 years and a great deal has changed in that time.  Perhaps this
is a question for Tom Barr specifically, but I thought I might as well throw
it out to all.  I am setting up a planted 55g tank with a Flourite/Sand
substrate.  Tom's approach of providing flow to the substrate via a CPVC UGF
is one I am going to incorporate since I am starting from scratch.  Even if
I find I don't need it - it will be in place if I do.  There is also
considerable talk (on other boards as well) about limiting the amount of
water current in planted tanks by using a spray bar.  While I was
constructing the CPVC UGF, and in particular the riser tube, I thought, why
not integrate the spray bar with the UGF?  That is, use two risers (at each
end of the tank) and connect them with a horizontal bar just below the water
line to act as the spray bar.  The entire apparatus would be subject to
pressure/flow from the filter discharge.  It will take some experimenting to
determine the number and size of holes to place in the horizontal bar versus
the UGF but it should work.  Just guessing I would say I want about 80% of
the flow coming out of the spray bar and the balance going to the UGF.  Has
anyone tried this variation or have any comments?

Bob Welch