RE: Daphnia and Green Water

James,

I recently tried to circumvent the hungry mouths of SAEs by placing some
Daphnia in one of those breeding nets.  (I forgot the brand name, but it's
one of those little 6in. x 4in. boxes that hangs on the inside of your
tank's frame, made with thin netting.)

First I let them (Daphnia) grow in a small bucket filled with my tank's
green water, then I moved them to this breeding net.  I thought I was smart,
but the critters didn't live more than a day once I placed them into the
tank's water.  I didn't understand the difference between them being in the
bucket vs. the tank - since it's the same water, and even the same
temperature since the bucket was floating in the tank.  But then someone
mentioned something about Amquel and its possible adverse effect on Daphnia
( http://www.actwin.com/fish/aquatic-plants/month.200003/msg00526.html ).  I
do use Amquel and I'm now thinking that maybe that had something to do with
it.

Emilio Ramirez
... in Chicago where our mayor might be a little overworked.