Re: pH & nightly airstones

Thanks, folks.  I was going to open this thread, anyway.

When T took the surface agitation (waterfall and airstone) out of the
new 40 gal iwht CO2, the pH became close to rock steady at 6.7ish, day
or night. The plants are growing well, alhtough it is totally beyond my
which of my tweaks caused THAT to happen.  I see some pearling during
the day.

So, I reintroduced the fish.  How can I tell if he is getting enough
02.  I hate to mess with a system that works by turning on air if I
don't have to.  THe fish is a bushynose plec, whose major activity in
the absence of other fish to harrass is to stick upside on a log and
breath, so I can't really monitor his activity level. Can I trust that
if he needs more oxygen he will go to the surface and gasp.  Or as seems
to be the habit of plecs, take a stroll out of the tank?

troi

[snip]