Re: driftwood weighting: cedar??

Douglas Bertelsen wrote:

"    I agree that the best thing to do for driftwood is the rock method.  I
just put a beautiful piece of cedar in my 29 gallon this weekend using that
method.  "

Not to detract from your probably great looking piece of wood, but
do you think cedar is a good idea in an aquarium?  It leaches phenolic
compounds with allelopathic and toxic effects for years.  The stuff
takes forever to decay in freshwater due to the fact that no fungus
or bacteria can survive on it to break it down.
It is not even recommended as bedding material for other pets
(birds, mammals, herps).  I would expect it to have the same or
greater effects in an aquarium.

http://www.whiskerwisdom.com/cedarand.htm
http://www.afrma.org/rminfo2a.htm