Does a lack of nitrate cause small, distorted leaves?

I'm beginning to think so.  While I was busy working
on a law school project, I didn't feed my fish much
even though I still did dose with the Flourish and do
water changes.  I noticed some tiny and deformed
leaves
on some plants.  Checking the nitrate, I found it to
be zero.  I'm sure there was plenty of calcium,
potassium, and boron available to the plants.  I added
some nitrate (now 5ppm) and I'm betting things get
back to normal.  Any thoughts?