RE: Red vs. blue and growth control

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Bob Dixon wrote:

> My "Crystal" val grows to lengths of up to 42 inches.  It's
> supposed to get
> to more like 24 inches.  I suspected for a while that it
> might be jungle val,
> but the leaves aren't as wide as jungle val.  I am using a
> Phillips Advantage
> 50 and a GE "kitchen and bath".  The GE is extremely red to the eye.
>
> Is it possible that I might get shorter plants by replacing
> the K&B with a
> 7500K bulb?
>
> Bob Dixon

A while back, I had bought some 2" tall "Dwarf" Sag, at least that's what
the LFS called it.  Put it in a tank with 2 5500k 175 watt MH pendants.  It
very quickly spread, but all new growth grew up to the surface, about 24".

I then moved the entire contents of this tank, substrate and all, including
the co2 system, into another tank of comparable volume. The ONLY difference
between the 2 tanks is the lighting.  The new tank has 4 NO cool whites.
The 24" Dwarf Sags have multiplied again, but, the new growth has reverted
back to its original size, about 2".

I'm befuddled...

Bob Ashcraft
Pittsburgh, PA