Re: Cleaning Glass

Paul writes:

> The deposits on my tank tops result from a process where water condenses on
>  the tops during the night when the lights are off and then dries up during
>  the day when the lights come on and heat the tops.  Glass is dissolved
>  during the night and then redeposited during the day.

Are you serious?  What makes you think this is aluminum silicate?  how can
you tell the difference between glass and carbonates?  What is in your water
that will eat glass?   The only thing I know of is hydroflouric acid, and
that's not likely to be floating around in the local water supply.

>As the months go by,
>  considerable deposits build up, fogging the glass and cutting down on the
>  transmitted light.  These deposits are extremely hard. <snip>

Sounds like calium carbonate to me.

>  I will look around in my local hardware stare for this "ClR" product and
>  check it out.  Thanks for the tip, Chris.

CLR isn't going to touch it if it is deposited glass either.

>  Bob Dixon said:
>
>  >Muriatic acid should take it off quite easily.  Be sure to wear "playtex"
>  >gloves, and do it outside or in an extremely well-ventilated space.
>
>  This deposit is glass that has been dissolved and redeposited.  Muriatic
>  acid (hydrochloric acid) won't touch glass.  It is good for getting off
>  calcium carbonate deposits.

I should ammend this to clarify that I keep a mixture of 3 parts water to 1
part muriatic around for pH adjustments.  It is only 7-3/4% HCl, and not as
noxious to work with as straight muriatic acid.  Have you tried it yet?  or
the vinegar suggestion?

Bob Dixon