Re: cleaning glass

>From: Christopher Newell <newellcr at yahoo_com>
>Subject: Cleaning glass.
>
>I missed the original post, but I've had great luck in
>cleaning glass.
>

>I've used "CLR" cleaning product to clean all types of
>glass including fish bowls, tanks, and tank hoods.  I
>got it in the local hardware store on a hobbyists
>suggestion.  It comes in a grey bottle.  It's
>miserable stuff to work with but does a great job of
>removing anything I've ever tried it on.  Put on
>rubber gloves and eye protection and use as indicated.
> Then thoroughly rinse the stuff in clean water.  As a
>precautionary measure, I give the glass another bath
>for several hours in bleach solution.
>
>Like I said, it's miserable stuff, but doesn't require
>heavy scrubbing and it seems to rinse clean as
>discussed.

The deposits on my tank tops result from a process where water condenses on
the tops during the night when the lights are off and then dries up during
the day when the lights come on and heat the tops.  Glass is dissolved
during the night and then redeposited during the day.  As the months go by,
considerable deposits build up, fogging the glass and cutting down on the
transmitted light.  These deposits are extremely hard.  I tried polishing
with cerium oxide powder, but,  rubbing with all my might, I couldn't make
an impression on even a small section of clouded glass.  Perhaps with a
large, high speed drill and a buffing head, I could clear up some of the
deposit, but with my little electric drill, I can't make any impression.

I will look around in my local hardware stare for this "ClR" product and
check it out.  Thanks for the tip, Chris.

Bob Dixon said:

>Muriatic acid should take it off quite easily.  Be sure to wear "playtex"
>gloves, and do it outside or in an extremely well-ventilated space.

This deposit is glass that has been dissolved and redeposited.  Muriatic
acid (hydrochloric acid) won't touch glass.  It is good for getting off
calcium carbonate deposits.

Paul Krombholz, in cool, Central Mississippi, where periods of showers
during the last two weeks have helped the drought a little bit.