Driftwood Weights

Hello all,

I have a problem with not being able to get my driftwood to sink.  I'm in the
process of setting up a 55 gallon tank and I cheaply acquired a bunch of nice
driftwood, but even after 2 weeks of soaking, it won't sink.  I tried
weighting it down with small granite stones and some fishing wire, but to no
avail.  I need something heavier.  I was wondering if there was some type of
metal I could use to hold them down.  I was wondering about using some
gardening stakes...is that a really bad idea?  I'm sure some red flags should
be going up somewhere.  I could use lead, right?  Since they make plant
weights out of lead?
Thanks for any help,
~Katie