Re: Lifespan of PC bulbs

Jared Weinberger <jweinberger at knology_net> wrote:

> We are using CustomSeaLife 95W PC bulbs (made by Panasonic). CSL claims a
> lifespan of 14-16 months. Our have been running only 9, so I don't know
> what to expect. Has anyone had experience with PC bulb changes? A search of
> the archives didn't turn up much.  We will probably use growth as our
> primary indicator, but it would be nice to know what the "PC pioneers" have
> found. Will they last a year with good output at 10-11 hr/day?
>
> Thanks,
> Jared

I have no data on these specific bulbs, but I think we can safely assume
their rated life is about 10,000 hours, or even more. For instance, the
Philips PL-L high power compact fluorescents are listed in the Philips
catalog with average life times of in between 10,000 and 20,000 hours,
depending on the model and power. Presuming that the manufacturer's claims
are correct, that is, a typical PC fluorescent looses no more than 10%
of its (design) light output during its rated life, you probably could keep
the PCs running for at least two years before thinking in changing them. Until
proof to the contrary, I would presume that recommendations to change these
bulbs earlier than that are based on marketing strategy, not actual facts.
Btw, I have two Osram/Sylvania 55 watt PCs running for 9 months too. Time
will tell...

-Ivo Busko
 Baltimore, MD