Bristlenose Catfish questions.

Hello, someone here told me that this fish is great for keeping spot algae
down off the tank side and expecially the plants (have  a problem where it
grows on the plant leaves making the lower leaves look ugly). I was just
wondering how?

I have 2 suckermouth cat's and I see them scraping the tank side but none of
the spots come off.  As for the leaves... as there is nothing to push
against how would it get the algae off these (I have to push with a razor
blade just to get it off the tank side).

Just curious.  By the way.. how common are these fish.. I don't remember
seeing them around at my local fish stores although I wasn't looking out for
them.

Thanks
Peter.