Re: plant filters et al

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Tom Barr wrote:

> ..........But you can add the plants to the filter or to the tank itself.
> More plants is more plants.

This struck me as being a significant point when we're talking about
putting a plant filter on a planted tank.  A heavily planted tank doesn't
need biological filteration unless it's carrying a fish load that's high
enough to be very stressful to the fish.  For a well-planted tank any
biological filter -- including a "plant filter" -- is pretty pointless.

Unless, of course you *enjoy* cleaning that thing.

If your tank is fish-only or only lightly planted then maybe there would
be some point to having a biological filter.

Roger Miller