Re: Tritons vs Chroma 50s

Hi Don,

I was at a SFBAAPS meeting Friday where Claus Christensen talk about raising
plants.  He knows a little about it as he is the head of Tropica
International, the largest aquarium plant growers in the world.  He
explained that the reason Chroma 50s look so bright is because much of their
light is in the green spectrum.  Plants use (absorb) the red and blue
spectrums and reflect the green spectrum (which is why plants look green).
Green is in the middle of the spectrum in which we see, so it appears much
brighter to us then either red or blue lights.  However, for plants it is
the opposite, so what is bright looking light to us may, in effect, be
rather dim for them.

Hope this helps,

Alan

Alan4ever at worldnet_att.net