Claus Christensen's suggestions: plant flitration and Rosy Barbs

We in the San Francisco group were visited recently by Tropica Denmark's
Claus Christensen.  Claus it the real deal - he seems to know everything
about the technical aspects of the hobby and his company's business: growing
and selling aquatic plants (to all but the US market <sigh> )  Not
surprisingly, Claus has some strongly-held ideas, all backed by decades of
experience and rigorous scientific testing.

I've been thinking of some of the things Claus mentioned; specifically his
strong suggestion for the the use of plant filtration.  My trickle filter
probably wouldn't be difficult to convert.  As I understand it I would
remove the bio-balls, place some fast-growing plants directly into the water
with no substrate, and add a 15-watt light source.  I suppose I would have
to remove the sump cover and modify the hose so that the gravity flow still
gets to the sump.  This is an area in which several members have experience,
but I'm a little nervous about making what looks like a substantial change.

Claus also suggested the use Rosy Barbs ton control hair algae.  Does anyone
have Rosy Barbs, and do they really eat hair algae?  Will they eat anything
OTHER than the algae?  Will they disturb my other fish (Pearl Guoramis,
Harlequin and Espes Rasboras, Otos, SAEs, C. japonica shrimp, assorted
Cories)?