Re: Stem Plants and Pruning (& territorial fish)

Bob,

Thanks for the tip. I have been on the lookout since I introduced them. They
displayed very aggressive behavior, after a few days, towards other
inhabitants, and one otocinclus showed up mysteriously dead with an injury
(bloody spot) after bringing them in. I even had to remove a 3rd ram to
another tank, which I had bought just in case I hadn't sexed them correctly.
I guess I sexed them correctly, in any case.

They were seriously more aggressive in one area. I've read they will
generally spawn on a flat rock if available, which there is not in this tank.
The most protected area was a patch of ludwigia, and there was no apparent
nest or eggs. Other than guppies, I've never had spawns in a tank, so I'm not
sure what to look for.

I have read that commercially sold rams are often sterile, so the protective
behavior could be all for naught. I have also read that of all the dwarf
cichlids, they rate at the bottom as far as parenting goes. It would be a
shame, if after all this aggression, they turn around and eat their kids for
lunch.

Sylvia

<<You invaded a spawning site, or at least a spawning tank.  Look closely for
eggs before you go in their nursery again.  They aren't as prone to sowing
off their kids as we are, and prefer to protect them against other critters.>>