Need help

Hello my fellow plant lovers!
     I have been wondering where some of you get the testing kits for things
like iron, phosphorous and other minerals used to assess conditions in the
water column of the tank? I recently purchased a pH meter from Cole Parmer
and am delighted now that I feel I am getting reliable measurements.
However Cole Parmer didn't have much of a selection for testing the things I
need.  My Tank has been pea soup green for 3 weeks now and I haven't a clue
what is causing this.  I changed 90% of the water twice.  I am using 2 of
those phosphor bags in my Fluval for removing phoshorous and silica which I
understand the algea love to dine on.  And I suspect that I am getting some
excess of wonderful nutrients bleeding up out of the substrate and into the
water column.  So, to slow this down, I added more of the fine sand I like,
to help "seal" the substrate a bit more.  I would love to see my fish some
day.
     My other question: is there a similar group on line that folks would
recommend for Discus.  My new discus arrivals always come down with
something.  The books I have on discus talk about remedies used on the
European market that aren't sold here, California.  This time the discus got
whitish slime coat and even the cornea of the eyes is fogged with white.  I
am treating the discus as the hatchery owner has recommended.  But I would
prefer to be better educated and thus avoid such outbreaks in the future.
And yes, the Discus have been in a quarantine tank since they arrived and
not in the green broth of my 25 gal tank.
Thanks, Diana