RE: Amquel

>Here is a simple question.  I recently moved from Charleston, SC where we
>had ammonia in the water so I had been using Amquel. When I moved to
>Gainesville, Fl 2 of the LFS said that they do not have ammonia in the water
>here and implied (very strongly) that I should not use the Amquel (which I
>have a large bottle of that I bought before I moved) because it would
>somehow be detrimental to my fish and plants.  I don't really trust these
>new fish stores and really miss my old store, Tideline (the likes of which I
>have never seen in any other city). Anyway,this doesn't sound quite right to
>me, and I suspect they just wanted me to buy a new bottle of dechlorinator
>only to make money.  What do you all think?

I have used this one product on Chlorine and now Chloramines for several
years(15+ years) now. Amquel is in no way harmful to plants nor fish. I have
had many species of plants and Discus and some other touchy fish over these
years. Never in any way did I have problem using this product or resulting
from using it. I do large water changes too(25 to 75% weekly) so if there
was something going on I would have been and would be now in very big
trouble!!

Sounds like the LFS are not sure........ I am. They should fess up and tell
you they are not sure rather than tell you what they did. I support them and
all but they sometimes don't know beans..........<g>. I kind of feel like
it's our job somewhat to educate them and be friendly so we can work with
them to stop myths like this from spreading!
Regards,
Tom Barr