Re: DIY CO2

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, troi wrote:

> The only thing I am unclear on in you post is whether you are saying
> that just using an inline valve to reduce flow increases my risk of "pop
> bottle pistol" accidents. It would make sense.  I can bleed some off,
> can't I?

Using an inline valve increases the pressure in the generator.  If you
clamp down on it enough to actually reduce the gas flow then you are
causing a leak someplace.  A leak is *way* more likely than a rupture, but
if the pressure gets high enough then a rupture can happen.

I do use a valve on my CO2 lines, just a few inches above the outlet.  I
do that - not to reduce the flow - but so that I get an even stream of
bubbles instead of big bursts of bubbles at long intervals.  It works, but
it is risky.  I've never had a generator rupture but I did once clamp a
valve down tight enough that the generator (a 1-gallon Gatorade jug)
bulged out of shape.  I was just lucky to notice it before it ruptured.

You might be able to rig something up to bleed off some of the CO2.  That
could be difficult to control given the low pressure that we usually keep
in DIY CO2 systems and the naturally variable rate that CO2 is produced.

It's better just to tune the volume and productivity of your yeast/sugar
solution to get what you want, and live with the variations.

Roger Miller

in Albuquerque, where it's grey and snowing -- no, raining -- no, snowing
-- no, raining -- no, snowing....  OK. It's grey.