re: tank overheating

Gordon,
Sounds like your tank may be too well insulated. Here is what I would do:

1. Remove your glass lids, separate the pieces and only use the smallest
section of glass that will protect your lights. Keep the tank top as open as
possible. Also remove the back plastic section that allows for tubes, etc to
pass thru. This will let heat escape from the tank.

2. You may want to install a small muffin fan (computer) so that it hangs
from the open section in the rear of your canopy. Have it draw from the
inside and blow to the outside. This alone can lower tank temps by 2-3
degrees (in my experience). I have a 30 cfm 3 inch fan in a 640 watt
CustomSealife VHO hood on my 125 gallon and it does a great job.

I would try 1 first and see how it works, and then try 2 if you need it. You
will lose more H2O to evaporation. Hope this helps.

Dave